The root cause appears to be two missing files in the user's Microsoft Lync Data/[user's sip name] folder: GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx
If a computer that was running Lync 14 was upgraded to 10.9 from 10.8 or earlier there is no problem searching the GAL from within Lync. The problem occurs on 10.9 Macs with fresh Lync installs.
The fix is to copy GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx from a working computer to the non-workign 10.9 Mac.
- Install and configure Lync on the 10.9 Mac
- Log into Lync with the user's AD account credentials
- Close Lync
- On a computer that has a working Lync GAL go to ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Microsoft Lync Data/
- Open the "sip_[user.name]@[domain.com]" folder. ie: email@example.com
- Locate the GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files and copy them to a USB stick or the network
- On the 10.9 Mac with the new Lync install go to ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Microsoft Lync Data/sip_[user.name]@[domain.com] and import GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files
- Launch Lync and test the GAL search